Create your own version of extremely popular line / path drawing games like Flight Control, Harbor Master, Boom Brigade and Pirate Bay, that have the core gameplay around guiding an object to a goal by drawing a path (or line) from A to B.
Learn how to draw lines, detect touches on objects, have objects follow a path – and much, much more! Written by Steffen Itterheim, professional game developer and published book author (Learn iPhone and iPad Cocos2D Game Development, Apress).
The source-code is annotated with lots of comments explaining process, and rationale and was written with readability in mind. The included sample game works natively on both iPhone and iPad. Familiarity with the cocos2d-iphone game engine is recommended.
Note: your purchase helps to support the development of Kobold2D, the next generation cocos2d game engine.
High level development practices:
- Clearly separated and well-structured GameScene code design with a minimum
- Easy to add new objects and extend object parameters
- Assertive coding style to help catch coding errors early on
Fully-featured Objective-C game code:
- Touch object & draw a path for it (whether it’s already following a path or not)
- Path drawing ends when path is drawn over appropriate target location (eg airstrip for airplanes, respecting angle of approach)
- Path drawing ends when arbitrary point limit is exceeded (to avoid slowdowns)
- Path is drawn when dragged with thick transparent line style like Harbor Master, without glitches
- Path is split into equal length pieces no matter how quickly user moves finger
- Objects spawn outside screen, locations can be re-defined and extended
- Objects display incoming warning marker at screen border
- Objects display collision warning when any two of them are getting too close
- Objects follow path to end – then fade out and increase score or continue moving
- Objects always rotate in movement direction
- Objects bounce back at screen borders
- Motivational Labels for successful landings, precached
- Score and HighScore Labels
- HighScore saved to disk between play sessions
- Supports both Landscape orientations with autoflip
- Loads correct resource files depending on Target (iPhone or iPad)
- Proper Pause handling for incoming calls, SMS
- Many generally useful Math Helper functions included
- Lots of comments explaining rationale and giving tips for improvement
- Uses the professional Xcode Project from my Tutorial (Feature List)
- Includes both iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad versions using seperate Targets, same codebase
- Uses and includes cocos2d, both v1.1 and v2.0
- Two variants: one with ARC enabled, the other without ARC
- Compatible with iOS 4 through iOS 6
- Compatible with Xcode 4
- Easy setup, just unzip, choose one of the four projects (v1.1/v2.2/ARC/no ARC) and start working.
Games made with this Starterkit